Bethany Provincialate, Kacharakanahalli, Bangalore – Estd 1 March 1993

17_bethany_jyothi_blr_1 As the number of houses multiplied, functioning as one unit became difficult. Mother Macrina with her council planned the Congregational set-up into four region and Regional Superiors were appointed after the IX General Chapter in 1971, Bangalore region with regional headquarters in Bangalore was formed in 1971.

The further increase in membership and communities necessitated decentralization for effective governance. Bangalore on which Father Founder had set his feet, became the headquarters for one of the three Provinces.

bs

17_bethany_jyothi_blr_2Bangalore Province under the patronage of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus was solemnly erected by Mother Sylvine, Superior General on 8 June 1986.

Sr Dymphna became the first Provincial Superior of the Bangalore Province with her Councillors Sr Esperie, Sr Felicia, Sr Elizabeth, Sr Prima and Sr Gloriosa – Provincial Procurator along with Sr Josina- Social Work Co-ordinator.

The Provincial and her team functioned from Bethany Convent, Nandidurg Road, Bangalore – 46. The small room of Bethany Convent, Jayamahal rendered full service t Sr Dymphna as the Provincial’s office for five years.

bs1It could contain no more records of the growing Province, she proceeded to plan for a new Provincial House.

17_bethany_jyothi_blr_4

The foundation stone was blessed and laid by Fr Felix Punnakattuchery SAC of happy memory, the Chaplin of Jyothi Nilaya, on 19 March 1991, the feast of St Joseph in the Jyothi Nilaya campus. Construction work was entrusted to seecon Constructions.

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

– 1 Corinthians 13:6-7

Msgr Raymond Francis Camillus Mascarenhas (Founder)

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900. He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian's Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931. Read More