Jyothi Nilaya, Kacharakanahalli, Bangalore – Estd 5th July 1971

17_bethany_jyothi_blr_3
The recoganization of the state in Karnataka took place on 1 November 1956. Bangalore was fast developing and was being extended in all directions in the 1960’s. Bangalore became the capital and consequently all the government offices were shifted from Mysore to the new capital. This change in the administration made it necessary for the educational institutions to come to Bangalore on and off. Bethany’s pastoral apostolate was centered on education and socio economic development of the poor.

17_bethany_jyothi_convent_08As such sisters from Mangalore had to travel often to Bangalore for the departmental permissions or approvals for its various educational institutes. Sr Lumina, in her search for the land contacted Rev Fr Ullasappa Megalatti, the Parish priest of St Pius the X Church, Kammanahalli. He co-operated with her and they succeeded in identifying the land in Kammanahalli village, Bangalore South. Sr Lumina was directed to build a small house for the residence of the sisters. In keeping with the spirit of poverty, a small convent building was constructed on the plot with two rooms and a kitchen. The school was opened on 23 June 1977 with 25 students. Sr Simplina was appointed as the first headmistress of Jyothi High School. The strength in the school was increasing year after year.

The hard work of the sisters was rewarded as the students excelled in extra-curricular activities and sports even though their academic performance was just average. Most of the students came from the lower middle class and poor families. Parental love and care was lacking and the children had difficulties in finding a conductive atmosphere for the studies in their families. The sisters kept the students in the school after class hours for extra coaching, bestowing on them love and care and helping them in their studies. It is heartening to know that many of the students have excelled in their studies in later years and have returned to their alma mater with grateful hearts and gestures of love.

“For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.”

– Psalms 100:5

Msgr Raymond Francis Camillus Mascarenhas (Founder)

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900. He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian's Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931. Read More