Sacred Heart Convent, Basrikatte, Chikmagalur – Estd 21 May 1965

sacred_heart13Basrikatte is at a distance of 45 kilometers from the town of Chikmagalur. The catholic population is scattered in the estates as planters with their workers. The need of the hour was to approach these hilly regions to bring the people to the church to strengthen their faith and motivate them to send their children to the school. Fr Edwin Pinto with his pastoral outlook was convinced of the urgent need of his flock. He realized that the presence of the religious in the parish would help him in his mission.

He was convinced that the Bethany Sisters would suit this purpose. After much prayer and consultation, he started the work of remodeling and extending the Sacred Heart Church with the help of the people. The same was solemnly blessed by Most Rev Albert V D’Souza, the Bishop of Kolkata on 6 February 1964.

sacred_heart03Fr Edwin approached Most Rev Alphonsus Mathias who had just taken charge of the new diocese of Chikmagalur. He confided in him the needs of his parish and his intention to invite the Bethany Sisters to Basrikatte. The sisters started their school in the nearby church hall on 1 June 1965 in Kannada and English medium. The foundation stone for the convent and dispensary was blessed and laid by the parish priest, Fr Jerome Francis Fernandes on 12 December 1968 in the presence of Sr Colette, Sr Leona, Sr Ronaldine, Sr Elsina and the school children.

 

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”

– 1 Corinthians 13:4

Msgr Raymond Francis Camillus Mascarenhas (Founder)

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900. He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian's Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931. Read More