Seva Sadan, Doddabelavangala, Bangalore – Estd 8 September 1988

seva_sadan_doddabela08Fr Claude gladly accepted the request of Mother Slyvine, the Superior General, to orient the sisters into social action. Novices, tertians and junior sisters were sent in batches to Bangalore for orientation and a social exposure programme under the guidance of the Cluster School Movement. Seeing the keen interest and positive response of the sisters and villagers, Bethany would take one Experimental Centre at Doddabelavangala in Doddaballapur Taluk. It was a call of the Divine Spirit and Bethany’s response was an emphatic ‘yes’. Sr Agnesia from Mangalore Province, Sr Susheela from Bangalore Province and Sr Praveen from Northern Province were chosen and motivated for the mission.

seva_sadan_doddabela11Two trained teachers, Ms Mabel and Ms Leena D’Mello were also selected from the Rosa Mystica Teachers Training Institute to join the team. The Seva Sadan community considered social action as a service to the rural poor. Doddabelavangala village has changed in its approach towards the sisters. The apprehensions which appeared on the day of their coming into the village have changed into a wholehearted welcome.

The sisters join the people freely during all their celebrations irrespective of their religion, caste and creed. Sisters have been able to transform many families. The dream of our Founder to have the gospel preached to the poor is being realized at Doddabelavangala day after day.

 

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.”
– 1 John 3:16

Msgr Raymond Francis Camillus Mascarenhas (Founder)

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900. He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian's Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931. Read More