The pioneers, Sr Francis, Sr Bartholomea, Sr Paupera, Sr Laura and the house-maid, Pullu Bai (Florine D’Souza), arrived in Mudigere together with Mgr Raymond FC Mascarenhas and Mother Priscilla, Mother General, on 23 May 1953. There were no catholic educational institutions for the education of the children of the poor estate labourers in and around Mudigere.
The institution began with a nursery class in Kannada medium on 1 June 1953 with 20 children. Permission was granted to commence the primary school on 30 May 1953. A boarding house was started with two children in 1953. Sr Helen was teaching craft to the students.
The new higher primary school (classes) was inaugurated by the Honorable Chief Minister, Mr. S Nijalingappa, on 20 November 1957. The following year the lower primary school building was inaugurated on 18 January 1958 by Mr. Basappa Gowda Member of the Legislative Assembly of Mudigere. A new block for nursery classes was added in the same year. The foundation stone for the (higher primary school) middle school was laid in 1959. The convent building was inaugurated by Mgr Albert Capelle on 24 September 1962. St Martha’s High School was inaugurated on 1 June 1989 by most Rev John Baptist Sequeria, the Bishop of Chikmagalur.
“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”