The Founder of the Congregation

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900.

He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian’s Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931.

A man with deep God experience, far sighted vision and deep intellectual insight and obsessed with the idea of sharing God’s love especially with the poor, he read the signs of the times and founded the Congregation of the Sisters of the Little Flower of Bethany in the year 1921 at Bendur to provide an opportunity to those who desirous of answering the call of God to religious life and to cater to the pastoral care of the people and educational needs of rural children, especially girls.

He was a man of God, known to be a compassionate pastor, an eloquent speaker and powerful preacher, an efficient administrator, an eminent educationist and a writer. Having served as the Vicar General of the Diocese of Mangalore from 1931 to 1941 he continued to direct the Congregation that he founded. He dared to tread the unbeaten paths, where others dared not, while taking up new initiatives. In recognition of his valuable services the Holy Father, Pope Pius the XII conferred on him the title – Domestic Prelate.

He slept in the Lord on 23 December 1960 at the age of 86. He was declared SERVANT OF GOD, on 3 June 2008 by Most Rev Dr Aloysius Paul D’Souza, Bishop of Mangalore. It is the first step in the process of beatification and canonization.

Msgr Raymond Francis Camillus Mascarenhas (Founder)

Founder

Raymond was born on 23 January 1875 to Joanna and Lazarus Mascarenhas of Mangalore, then residing at Shimoga. Having completed his academic and priestly training in Mangalore, he was ordained priest on 4 March 1900. He rendered pastoral service at Kallianpur, Udyavar and Agrar. At St Sebastian's Bendur, Monsignor was the founder parish priest from 1914 to 1931. Read More